Two potential problems can be found in blueberries:
» Thrips can be found on the top of the berry near the crown.
» Scales can be found on the blueberry (see image).
Check blueberries visually for scales. If 20% of the container is scale-free, no further checking is necessary (this percentage has been taken from the test results of a national hashgocha findings). If scales are found on
even one, each blueberry should be checked individually. Then wash the berries as detailed below.
Steps for cleaning blueberries
- Fill a large bowl / pan with water and a soapy solution. The bowl / pan should be large enough to accommodate the quantity of product you are using and still enable you to vigorously move around the berries, as described below. The amount of soapy solution should be enough to make the water feel slippery and be sudsy
- The product should be completely submerged in the water and soaked for three minutes.
- Vigorously move around the berries in the soapy solution.
- Remove blueberries from the bowl / pan, place them in a colander, and rinse them very thoroughly, making sure the stream of water reaches all the berries.
- No further inspection is necessary